“If you’re bored with life, if you don’t get up every morning with a burning desire to do things–you don’t have enough goals.” – Lou Holtz
October 22 Update: Once again an ACL tear’s forced me to modify my original list. All three items will re-appear in some form on 34-for-34.
July 31 Update: Another item (“Do yoga regularly”) has fallen victim to my injured knee. It’ll re-appear in some form on 34-for-34; in the meantime, since I’m only thirty-three for another couple weeks, I’m not replacing it with anything, and thus 33-for-33 is, in a sense, 32-for-32 Part II.
Big Ticket Items
- Be debt-free
- Develop professionally
- Become a writer
- Finish my cognitive behaviour therapy DONE!
Recovering From Surgery
- Ski Renegade at Goat’s Eye Mountain before the end of the season
- Play soccer before the end of Calgary’s indoor season DONE!
- Run a road race before December 31, 2013
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
- Bike from Canmore to Banff DONE!
- Go snowboarding
- Consistently benchpress 100 lbs DONE!
- Hold a plank for two minutes DONE!
- Do yoga regularly
- Create a weekly menu that emphasizes healthy, brain-friendly food DONE!
Arts and Crafts
- Re-watch both Star Wars trilogies DONE!
- Re-watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy DONE!
- Listen to all of Pink Floyd’s studio albums DONE!
- Listen to one album I’ve never heard before each week DONE!
- Support local arts and cultural organizations
A Community of My Own
- Expand my role as Partners for Mental Health’s Calgary Community Correspondent
- Become involved with a cancer-oriented charity DONE!
- Attend church at least one time outside of major holidays DONE!
- Compost DONE!
- Be an active member of the Sunnyside community
- Visit Dinosaur Provincial Park DONE!
- Do the Columbia Icefield Glacier Adventure DONE!
- Go to a Calgary Flames vs. Edmonton Oilers game DONE!
- Attend the Labour Day Classic DONE!
- Visit the Gopher Hole Museum in Torrington DONE!
- Read Les Misérables
- Watch Casablanca DONE!
- Visit Paris DONE!
Three New Items
- Resume coaching certification DONE!
- Apply for a British passport DONE! (and received in February 2015!)
- Celebrate thirty years cancer-free in style DONE!
And Above All…
- On August 15, 2014, look back at being thirty-three and say, with complete confidence, that it was better than being thirty-two.
(Updated August 6, 2014)