I’m leaving for England tonight and turning twenty-seven someday next week, which means I’m running out of time to finish my “26-for-26” list. I’m close; I won’t quite get there, but the experiment was successful enough that I’ll be doing it again next year. Before I can do that, however, I’ve gotta start wrapping up this past year…which means it’s time for one last progress report:
- Get in shape. Sort of–but I can’t cross it off the list because I didn’t do a good enough job of it. Next year I’ll make more specific goals; then you’ll see me flourish.
- Join a band. Done.
- Rewrite the LSATs–and this time, break 160. Half-done.
- Go to Europe. Leaving today.
- Volunteer. At least I’m contributing to Sick Kids…
- Totally excel at my job, then blow my $1,000 end-of-year bonus. I still think I was a great MS Read-A-Thon Coordinator…and yes, I am sure I’ve blown that bonus to smithereens by now.
- Make my own coffee in the morning. Incredibly, I’ve actually started doing this.
- Cook my own food. I’d better get on this one…
- Join a soccer team. I’ll do it when I get to Calgary.
- Start golfing again. My last round was last September!
- Go to ballgames at Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium with Jamie and Jeff. Done.
- Train for a half-marathon. Uh…
- Get my Pearl Jam posters framed. I’m going to give myself this one, because I ordered the supplies…and then they didn’t arrive. When I get back from England I’ll be entering into intense negotiations with a hippie from Berkeley…and yes, I’m as excited about this as you are.
- Keep my room cleaned and organized. Again, this was too vague…so I’m going to say that yes, my room is far cleaner and much better organized than it’s ever been, and so hence I’ve achieved this goal.
- Broaden my horizons where music, movies and literature are concerned. In general, yes.
- Acquire a complete set of hockey cards. Done.
- Buy Bri flowers. Done.
- Attend a church service. Done.
- Learn German. Nein!
- Have someone utter the phrase “Choose your words carefully, Mr. Johns, they may be your last” with purpose and intent. Jon Thompson still claims he meant it.
- See Pearl Jam in a random location. If Lollapalooza wasn’t random enough, then the Vic Theatre sure as hell was.
- Make mix CDs for Heather Johnson and Laura Schaefer, along with apology notes for taking so long. Done, although I still have to deliver Laura’s to her.
- Have a much better idea about where I’m headed. More-or-less…
- Successfully guide Southampton to a Champions League victory in Football Manager. Twice!
- Finish watching Season 1 of The O.C.. Done.
- Be able to look back at twenty-six and say, with confidence, that it was better than twenty-five. Yes, definitely.
The (more-or-less) final tally: 18.5/26, which isn’t bad at all. My “27-for-27” list, meanwhile, is being written as we speak. I’ll post it when I get back from the U.K., by which point I’ll be twenty-seven (I won’t tell you exactly when this will occur, because I actually hate my birthday).
And speaking of the U.K….hey, I’m leaving in three hours! Last night–at 3am, in fact–I secured tickets for Manchester United’s opening match of the 2007/08 season, at home against Reading on Sunday afternoon. This time, I’m going with my dad; seeing a United match together at Old Trafford has been a long-standing goal of ours. We’ll have the proverbial “bird’s eye view of a bird’s eye view,” this time from the brand-new Northwest Quadrant…
…but at least we’re going, and for a fraction of the cost of the last game I saw at Old Trafford. This weekend, meanwhile, Paul and I are aiming to reenact our infamous absinthe bender of March 2006. God help us. Anyway: next time you hear from me I’ll be in Europe!