Le Bri and I are leaving for New York on Thursday, and we’ve got at least one gaping hole in our itinerary: what to do with our Saturday afternoon? We know we want to see a show–but which one? Now you get to help us decide!
The following is a list of the contenders. Please, take a few minutes out of your busy schedules (or, if you’re Saj, out of a day in which you’ll do absolutely nothing else) and tell us which one we should see. There are no right or wrong answers, as long as you justify your selection; if you think we should see show “x” because “it’ll emasculate Steve” then that’s perfectly fine. Submissions must be received no later than Thursday evening.
- LES MISERABLES. PROS: it’s an incredible show, Lea Salonga is playing Fantine, the touring production’s demise will make it more difficult to see Les Mis in coming years; CONS: we saw it relatively recently (September 2005), I’ve already seen it twice on Broadway (albeit during its original, 6,680-performance run at the Imperial Theater), a casting overhaul (Cameron Mackintosh came in and fired three of the show’s leads) could affect the performers’ chemistry.
- HAIRSPRAY. PROS: it’s a great show, it was what we saw on our first-ever date (which would make it extra meaningful), the movie (due out next month) will likely destroy any lingering memories of the stage production and so we should see it while we can; CONS: we’th both seen it multiple times, I’ve heard mixed things about the current cast, the movie might be really good (and I’m not suggesting it’ll be as good as the show itself but…well, you know).
- JERSEY BOYS. PROS: it’s supposed to be the greatest musical in history; CONS: it’s brutally hard to get tickets, it’s unaffordable (they range from $96.50 to $121.50 for regular, non-standing-room tickets), we don’t want to wait in line for standing room/cancellations, it’s coming to Toronto next year (albeit with a different cast).
- THE 25th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE. PROS: it’s got good reviews; CONS: we don’t like what we’ve heard of William Finn’s score, it’s coming to Toronto next year.
- MAMMA MIA!. PROS: it’s perversely entertaining; CONS: it’s a musical based on the songs of ABBA, I’ve seen it three (!) times, it’s rumoured to be heading back to Toronto.
It’s all up to you now. Be nice!